DC 27's Culinary Journey

Where we play with fire, and we love it.

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Functions...Hate 'em, Love 'em...meh

Thursday, January 10, 2008
Good day to you readers, well unlike Sir Maynard who had a 3 day orientation and is going to have 2 off days(Lucky Prick =P) I started straight away on the 2nd of January. First area of kitchen, Stewarding. In my days as a steward, I have come to respect people who have this job, for it ain't easy, their one hardworking group. Anyways, on my first day it was hell. First, I didn't bring a bottle of anything, so I couldn't drink any water during my work time, does dehydration mean anything to you? And furthermore, there was a function on that day, 50 pax were located upstairs which only took half of the upstairs space. So with that 50 pax, the rest of the restaurant was FULL. Plates were sent down by the bundles. It was shitty. Then on my 3rd day, I had to SOLO the stewarding, and on that fine day, there was a function of 30 pax. Great, Woopee for me, go Jon. But, fortunately, I adapted to that area, so the rest of the days were going on fine.

What did I learn in Stewarding?
1)Carrying Hot Plates
2)Clearing Fast

3)Being messy is ok, getting dirty is your job
4)The different chemicals they use to wash their plates, clean their floors, and etc.
5)How Scary the Chef-Restauraneur is

So, after my first week in the restaurant, I got upgraded to the Cold Kitchen, Woopee, it was my first day today and it was BLOODY boring. It seems that today isn't a favorable day. But I'm looking on the bright side, tomorrows Friday(D-Day, Armageddon) Fridays are always packed. And the usual slow lunch hour is reserved for 18 pax(Another Function Eep) So I doubt that it'll be boring.

What did I learn in a Day of the Cold Kitchen?
1)Chop
2)Slice

3)Cleaning up the kitchen
4)Why do they put veggies in ice cold water
5)How great ice cold water is for Red Corals but how sad it is for Butterhead Lettuces(Leave Red Corals in for a day and it becomes beautiful, Leave butterhead lettuces in for an hour and it breaks.)

6)How to make really nice Salsa(Mmmm,Gorgeous)
7)How to make really nice potatoes(Delicious)
8)The difference between a Rib Eye and a Sirloin(I know I know, but the Hot Kitchen is just 3 steps away and I had nothing to do)
9)How a professional butcher can make your day(2.5 Kilos of meat from 10 Kilos, No problem, cut, and there you have it, exactly 2.5 Kilos)
10)How to cut Capsicums without taking out the seeds.
11)Why Capsicums should be cut fast.

Yeah, I learn more in one day of Cold Kitchen than in Stewarding. Free time ROCKS!


Kk gotta sleep now, so till next time.

-By Jon

0 mirepoix:

Post a Comment